2020 Eisteddfod CANCELLATION
It is with great regret that as of today 13th August 2020 the executive of the Lismore Musical Festival Society has been forced to cancel the 2020 Eisteddfod.
Some of the reasons are listed below:
- First, due to the Covid-19 shutdown in March and the social distancing requirements, the Lismore City Hall was closed and remains closed for the rest of this year. This meant the cancellation of the Troupes Days. In a similar light, whilst The Lismore Workers Club had their numbers lifted to 150 in the auditorium, the separation is a major concern to management. Therefore the Schools Days were cancelled..
- We realise that we cannot maintain correct space per person, per room, per dressing room, and back stage for our large number of dance entries. We have to keep within the “space per person” ruling that the law allows the Workers’ Club. As a result the rest of the dance sections have had to be cancelled.
- Due to the Lismore Workers Club’s concerns about social distancing, the Vocal and Instrumental, Spoken Word and HSC Performance sections have been cancelled.
- If we were able to hold the Eisteddfod, we have been advised that all parties would have to book and pay for their entry through the Workers Club’s booking system.
- The adjudicator costs, the trophy costs, and the printing costs, as well as the auditorium hire, together with the return of all entry fees, all add up to a financial disaster.
This is only the second time in 112 years that we have had to cancel an eisteddfod.
Secretary / Treasurer
Lismore Musical Festival Society